Post new topic   Reply to topic    Legacy Reborn Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKazz
Guild Master

re: Legion System Requirements

MMO Champion has an interesting post on Legion System Requirements today:
Quote:
Minimum
Intel CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6600 increased to Intel Core2 Duo E8500
AMD CPU: AMD Phenom X3 8750 increased to AMD Phenom II X3 720
Drive Space: 35 GB increased to 45 GB.
Nvidia GPU: 8800 GT increased to GT 440
AMD GPU: Radeon HD 4850 increased to Radeon HD 5670
Intel GPU: HD Graphics 3000 increased to HD Graphics 5000

Recommended
Operating System: Windows 7, 8, or 10 increased to Windows 10.
Intel CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 increased to Intel Core i5-3330
AMD CPU: AMD FX-4100 increased to AMD FX-6300
Nvidia GPU: GTX 470 increased to GTX 750 Ti
AMD GPU: Radeon HD 5870 increased to R7 260X

My gaming PC (admittedly 3 years old), now is at the "recommended" threshold for WoW once Legion drops. I'm actually pretty surprised that the processing demands of the game keep increasing.

Nevertheless, figured I'd repost this in case anyone is on the fence when it comes to upgrading their PC. Maybe Tuskeh/Viv can opine on whether or not the Legion Alpha feels noticeably more computer intensive.

I saw this as well. I am just now barely above the recommended with my computer built June 2013.
Psynite
Social

Maybe I need to study up on hardware info again. Maybe I'm not fully understanding the requirements (been outta practice and haven't read up on new shit in like 2 years)

Looking over performance values here both my CPU and GPU are well above the "recommended" specs, and I built this computer around 4(ish) years ago (the cpu I have was one of the top rated ones at the time). My graphics card I can understand, relatively new (probably 2ish years old) but my CPU being well above the recommended one is what is confusing me.

For reference: I am using an i7-2600k @ 3.40GHz, and a Radeon HD 7970.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to if I'm missing something, because as far as I can tell I'm well prepared for the Legion specs.

Last edited by Psynite on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

I haven't noticed anything that warranted such a powerful computer in order to handle anything so far. Admittedly I have mostly wandered around Dalaran, class halls, and intro quests, so I could be missing something.
Nexaa
Raider

FUCKING RIP NEXA.
TelonicusRex

Psy, if you are rolling an I7 processor with a 3.4 GZ output I imagine it is also getting turbo charged by a quad core, therefore boosting you to about 3.9 maybe 4 GZ, so no problem there. An AMD 7970 is pretty top of the line even two years later, so you're solid.

But yeah seriously, RIP Nexa. I am sure if you play reasonably well now that you can probably play a bit above the minimum specs at the least. During BC I raided on an Emachine and averaged about 6 FPS. Where there's a will there is a way.
Chukie1188
Raider

Okay intel processor numbering conventions lesson. First number = Generation 2nd number = relative strength within their generation. So a second generation 600 series is likely comparable to a 3rd generation 300 series. The i7s never offered any real noticeable benefit for gaming over an i5 (especially wow) because their main selling feature is hyperthreading something wow doesn't use.

Telonicus comparing raw mhz numbers has been pretty useless for years now sorta like number of cores. Compare benchmarks to get a better idea and ignore the marketing gimmicks. Like upon researching it my guesstimate was pretty accurate psys processor is about 10% stronger. I wish wow used more cores but it only uses a second barely for audio.

I find most interesting them recommending windows 10. I really don't feel like wiping hard drives.

I personally will be fine. My 4790k and 970 got this np.

Social

Thank you for the explanation Chukie. I came to the same conclusion about my cpu as you did, so I didn't really learn anything new. Other than I'm not as out of touch with the hardware world as I thought. But seriously, thanks, it's a good explanation for those who don't know this stuff.

I'm probably in the minority in the guild, using AMD hardware, but I'm using an FX-8350 cpu, at 4.01ghz. It doesn't compete with anything from Intel in the last few years, but I'm happy with it, and it should be fine for legion.

My gpu on the other hand is a HD 6950. It still should be ok, but it'll def. be the weakest part of my pc. Probably something I'll consider replacing the the coming year.

I'm curious about the lack of mention of ram requirements. I'm only running 8gb currently, and I know wow now often uses close to 2gigs. While I imagine 8 will still be more than enough, this is also an area I'll likely address in the future, and add another 8gb.
TheKazz
Guild Master

Sorry Tom MMO champ said that the new memory requirements are 4 GB required (up from 2 GB) and 8 GB recommended (up from 4 GB)

I used to use AMD before my current processor tom. Its honestly still going strong in my little bros comp that I handed down 985 Black edition about 6 years old now still doing great.

Only problem with AMD is in recent years they went too hard on number of physical cores. It's pretty uncommon for a game to use 2 cores. 4 almost unheard of. So anything beyond that is just wasted. Their clock speeds are also super deceptive now, almost like PCs vs Macs in the 90s as they might say its only .2 mhz slower than an intel chip the single thread performance is massively different. Also their new shit runs hot and eats a ton of juice. The opposite of what made them good. Disappointing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Legacy Reborn Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: